How to move to Australia without a job?

Are you dreaming of moving to Australia without a job?

I have been to Australia for work purposes and loved it ! Aussies have great balance between work and play. They value enjoying life outside of work, whether it’s hanging out at the beach, going for a hike, or watching a game of footy (that’s Australian rules football). But when its time to get work done, Aussies are hard workers.

If you want to move to Australia but do not have job offer in hand, then here are your alternate options.

Option 1 : Skilled Migration Visas

If you possess skills in high demand in Australia, you may be eligible for skilled migration visas like Subclass 189 (Skill Independent Visa) or Subclass 190 (Skill Nominated Visa). These visas don’t require a job offer, but you need to meet specific skill and point requirements.

Requirements :

The point requirements for skilled migration visas in Australia are like scoring points on a test. The more points you have, the better your chances of being eligible for the visa. Here’s a simplified explanation:

  • Age: You can score points based on your age. Generally, the younger you are, the more points you get. For example, if you’re between 25 and 32, you might get the maximum points for age. But you can apply if you are under 45 years of age.
  • English Language Skills: If you’re good at English, you earn points. There are tests to measure your English, and the higher you score, the more points you receive. You should be at competent level.
  • Work Experience: The more experience you have in your skilled occupation, the more points you can get. This is like giving credit for the time you’ve spent working and gaining expertise.
  • Education: Your educational qualifications also matter. Higher degrees, like a Master’s or a Ph.D., can earn you more points.
  • Skills Assessment: You need to get your skills assessed by a relevant authority. If they confirm that you’re really good at what you do, you get points.
  • Partner Skills: If your partner also has skills and qualifications, you can earn additional points.
  • Nomination: Some visas, like the Subclass 190, require nomination by an Australian state or territory. If a state or territory says they want you, that’s more points for you.

Think of it as collecting points for different aspects of your life – age, language, work, education, skills, and even your partner’s skills. If your total points reach a 65 points or above you become eligible for these skilled migration visas without needing a specific job offer. If you do not obtain a score of 65 points you will not be invited to apply for this visa.

How to apply?

  1. Check Your Eligibility here
    • Review the eligibility criteria for the specific skilled migration visa you are interested in (e.g., Subclass 189 or Subclass 190).
    • Ensure that you meet the age, skills, and other requirements.
  2. Skills Assessment:
    • Obtain a skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for your occupation.
    • This assessment confirms that your skills match the Australian standards for your chosen occupation.
  3. English Language Proficiency:
    • Take an English language test (e.g., IELTS) and achieve the required score. This step is essential for most skilled migration visas. Read more about it here
  4. Create an Expression of Interest (EOI):
    • Submit an Expression of Interest through the online system called SkillSelect.
    • Provide details about your skills, qualifications, work experience, and other relevant information.
  5. Points Calculation:
    • Your points for age, English language proficiency, work experience, education, and other factors are calculated based on the information provided in your EOI.
  6. Wait for Invitation:
    • Skilled migration visas are granted through an invitation system. After submitting your EOI, you need to wait for an invitation from the Australian government.
  7. Nomination (if applicable):
    • If you are applying for a state-sponsored visa (e.g., Subclass 190), you must be nominated by a specific Australian state or territory. Obtain nomination if required.
  8. Submit Visa Application:
    • Once you receive an invitation, submit a formal visa application to the Department of Home Affairs.
    • Provide all necessary documents and evidence to support your claims.
  9. Health and Character Checks:
    • Undergo health examinations and provide police clearance certificates to prove your good character.
  10. Visa Grant:
    • If your application is successful, you will be granted the skilled migration visa to Australia.
    • Make arrangements for your relocation to Australia.

Remember, this is a simplified overview, and the actual process may involve detailed documentation and adherence to specific guidelines. It’s advisable to refer to the official website of the Department of Home Affairs

Option 2: Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417 or 462)

If you are between 18 and 30 years old (or 18 to 35 for certain countries), you can apply for a Working Holiday Visa. This allows you to work and travel in Australia for up to 12 months. While not a long-term solution, it provides an opportunity to explore the country and potentially find employment.


  1. Age and Nationality Eligibility:
    • You must be a citizen of and hold a valid passport from one of the below listed countries/jurisdictions
    • You must be between 18 and 30 years old at the time of application.
    • Some countries have an extended age limit of up to 35. Check the specific eligibility for your country.
      • Belgium – 18 to 30 years
      • Canada – 18 to 35 years
      • Republic of Cyprus – 18 to 30 years
      • Denmark – 18 to 35 years
      • Estonia – 18 to 30 years
      • Finland – 18 to 30 years
      • France – 18 to 35 years
      • Germany – 18 to 30 years
      • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China – 18 to 30 years
      • Republic of Ireland – 18 to 35 years
      • Italy – 18 to 35 years
      • Japan – 18 to 30 years
      • Republic of Korea – 18 to 30 years
      • Malta – 18 to 30 years
      • Netherlands – 18 to 30 years
      • Norway – 18 to 30 years
      • Sweden – 18 to 30 years
      • Taiwan (other than an official or diplomatic passport) – 18 to 30 years
      • The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (including British National Overseas passport holders) – 18 to 35 year
  2. Health and Character:
    • Meet health and character requirements, including a health examination if necessary.
    • Provide police clearance certificates as proof of good character
  3. Have enough money: You need to show financial evidence of upto AUD5,000 for your initial stay, plus the fare to where you are going after leaving Australia

Note : If you have a child, you can still get a Working holiday Visa but your child cannot accompany you. Not even for a day !!!

How to Apply:

  1. Gather all the required documents
  2. Apply online – Login to ImmiAccount and create an account.
  3. Attach documents
  4. Pay the visa fee
  5. Wait for Processing:
    • Once submitted, your application will undergo processing. This may take some time, so be patient.
  6. Visa Grant:
    • If your application is successful, you will receive a notification of visa grant.
  7. Plan Your Trip:
    • After receiving the visa, plan your trip to Australia, considering your work and travel arrangements.
  8. Start Your Australian Adventure:
    • Upon arrival, you can work and travel in Australia for up to 12 months only.

Option 3: Get a Visa Sponsored job

Securing a job with visa sponsorship in Australia involves finding employers willing to sponsor foreign workers. Explore job platforms, build a strong professional network, and focus on industries facing skill shortages for better chances of landing a sponsored position that aligns with your qualifications.

I have written about the companies in Australia that offer visa sponsorship and relocation assistance. Read the post here.

Option 4: Student Visas

If you’re considering studying in Australia, a Student Visa is the way to go. This visa allows you to enroll in a course, work upto 48 hours per fortnight while studying. Once you finish your studies, you may qualify for post-study work visas. To apply, secure admission to an Australian institution, meet health and character requirements, and show proof of financial capacity to support your stay.

Option 5: Family Visas

For those with family ties in Australia, Family Visas offer a chance for reunion. If your family members are Australian citizens or permanent residents, you can apply to join them. Requirements include proof of the relationship, assurance of financial support, and meeting health and character standards. The application process involves submitting necessary documents and waiting for visa approval.


There you go ! If you are dreaming of moving to Australia without a job, then explore options like skilled migration for in-demand skills, a working holiday visa for temporary work and travel, seek visa-sponsored jobs, consider student visas for education and work, or explore family visas for reunions. Each path has specific requirements, so plan your Australian adventure accordingly.

All the best ! Leave your queries in the comments below !

Similar Posts